My logo was a bit complicated. I had a few ideas as to what I thought I would want in the logo but was not positive. I looked at the assigned readings and other suggested readings provided to us through the class’s instructors but realized it wasn’t enough. They helped me with the technical stuff but not so much with the artistic portion. I then used these two links to help me find “inspiration”:
These websites got me thinking that the design was about the product, and in this case, the product was me. I then got to thinking about what my blog and collages were about. That really got me going and the next thing I know I knew what I wanted. The only things that I could really portray clearly enough about myself to be in a logo were my two different cultures. I am a Korean-American, and this was significant to me because these are the basis of everything else I am. Having that in mind I decided to put the Korean and American flags together. Why? Well… Korean-American… Korean and American… Two different countries and two different flags… And thus came the Korean-American flag…?
I started by using the ellipse tool to make a circle. Then I used the rounded rectangle tools to make my white stripes. Once the color was done I used the warp –> arc effect to make them wavy like the flag’s stripes. I copy and pasted a few of these and put them over the circle. After placing the stripes I used the pathways – minus (subtract) tool and then used the expand appearance tool. Once I had that done I had the top half of the circle striped and the bottom half solid. I used the fill function to fill in the red stripes that were left over from the original circle before the subtraction was made. Then I made a handful of stars using the stars tool and used the fill function to make the background blue. I tried adding a gradient to the blue to make the flag look like it was flowing, but I couldn’t get it to match up with the flag stripes so I figured I would try that again later.
Since the basic form of the Korean flag’s yin-yang-like circle was finished, thanks to the American flag’s colors/shapes, I added the black stripes to the side like on the Korean flag for logo’s basic finishing touch. I started by making three basic black stripes then copy, pasting, and reflecting them and resizing them as necessary. This gave the logo a really flag-like appearance, which made me happy. After that I played around with the placement of my initials and the font and decided they looked best vertically placed. And so, my logo was complete! The Korean-American Anna Kim logo!